The morning roll call will be a particularly morbid affair on the first day of school in Gaza this Sunday. Hundreds of students, killed in the recent fighting, will be forever marked absent.
Many students are too badly injured or maimed to attend the first day of school. And thousands of students will need to adjust to sharing schools that escaped damage, because their old school now lies in rubble or remains a shelter for displaced families.
According to the United Nations and Gaza’s Ministry of Education, 228 school buildings were damaged to varying degrees during the latest fighting—143 government schools, 75 schools run by the UN, and 10 private schools – including 26 severely damaged or destroyed.
Priorities right now include clearing school buildings of any leftover explosive remnants from the fighting, and ensuring that displaced families living inside many dozens of schools find suitable alternative shelter. Textbooks and furniture will also need to be quickly replaced.
Gaza’s schools were already overstretched before the fighting, with a shortage of almost 200 schools. Around 90 percent of schools will now be running on a double shift, cutting each student’s school hours to just four hours each day. The school year is already starting three weeks late, and students will have weeks of psycho-social counselling and support before they are ready to study the regular curriculum. These students face tough challenges if they are to catch up with their compatriots in the West Bank in time for competitive exams next year.
Photo: A damaged classroom in the Jabalya girls school in Gaza. At least 10 Israeli munitions hit in and around the school on July 30, 2014, while more than 3,200 people were sheltering there. The attack killed 20 people. © 2014 Anne Paq/Human Rights Watch
Daily reminder: If Sweden or the UK were doing this, the world would be crying for their leaders to stand trial at the ICC.
Israeli actors protest closing of Palestinian theater by colonial, apartheid government
July 1, 2013
Puppeteers from the Israeli version of Sesame Street protested Monday against Israel’s closure of a Palestinian children’s puppet festival, arguing that puppet theater poses no threat to Israeli security.
Ariel Doron, the voice of Elmo on the Israeli version of the popular children’s television show, and Yousef Sweid, who plays an Arab Muppet on the show, created a Facebook page named Puppets4All calling on Israel to permit the festival. Two other Israeli Sesame Street puppeteers, along with a number of fellow Israeli actors, uploaded photos to the Facebook group holding puppets and signs protesting the closure.
"I think every boy and girl deserves to see puppet theater," said Doron. “There is no sense to this."
He said Monday his initiative was private and not coordinated with Sesame Street. Miri Yanai Meir of Israel’s Sesame Street said the show had nothing to do with the puppeteers’ initiative.
Israel’s Ministry of Public Security last week ordered the closure of the Hakawati Theater, the Palestinian national theater in east Jerusalem, canceling a children’s festival set to feature puppet shows and plays. Israeli police spokesman Mickey Rosenfeld said organizers of the theater illegally received funds from the Palestinian Authority government in the West Bank.
Israel prohibits Palestinian government activity in Israeli-controlled east Jerusalem, which Palestinians seek as the capital of a future state. Israel claims all of Jerusalem as its capital, including the eastern section of the city seized in the 1967 Mideast war.
Sesame Street, while steering clear of politics, has promoted messages of peace and tolerance in local versions of the show on Israeli and Palestinian television. Sesame Workshop, the American producer of the children’s television show, re-launched the local programs in 2007 after the original versions went off the air due to lack of funding.
The new Israeli version of “Rechov Sumsum” includes a Muppet of Arab origin, as well as characters representing Israel’s diverse Jewish immigrant population.
"Sharaa Simsim," the Palestinian counterpart, has sought to offer positive role models to Palestinian children. The show went off the air last year after the U.S. government cut funding, one of many Palestinian programs affected by a funding suspension aimed at punishing the Palestinians for a unilateral appeal to the U.N. for statehood.
Layla Sayegh of the Sharaa Simsim staff said the show will resume on Palestinian TV this fall with financing from Sesame Workshop and a local source. The U.S. will not resume funding for the program, Sayegh said.
Thousands attend funeral of Arafat Jaradat , who was killed two days earlier in an Israeli jail .HEBRON (Ma’an) — Thousands of mourners on Monday attended the funeral of Arafat Jaradat who died two days earlier in Israeli custody.
Jaradat, 30, died in Israel’s Megiddo prison a week after he was detained. An autopsy showed he died from severe torture, Palestinian officials said Sunday.Gunmen from the Al-Aqsa Martyrs Brigades fired in the air in Sair village, Jaradat’s hometown, as thousands marched with his body. Jaradat’s mother and pregnant wife collapsed at the funeral.The autopsy revealed evidence of severe torture and on the muscle of the upper left shoulder, parallel to the spine in the lower neck area, and evidence of severe torture under the skin and inside the muscle of the right side of the chest. His second and third ribs in the right side of the chest were broken, Qaraqe said, and he also had injuries in the middle of the muscle in the right hand.
Jaradat’s heart was in good condition and there were no signs of bruising or stroke, the minister added.
“We sacrifice our souls and blood for you, our martyr” mourners chanted.
Large numbers of Israeli forces deployed around Sair and imposed extensive restrictions on the entrances to Hebron and nearby villages.
Israeli forces fired tear gas at protesters in al-Arrub refugee camp and in Beit Einun. An Israeli military spokeswoman said forces fired riot dispersal means at Palestinians who threw stones at soldiers.
Tensions are rising following the death of a Palestinian in Israeli prison and a settler attack on a Palestinian village, which took place despite the fact that IDF soldiers were on the scene. Indifference to the Palestinian issue and lack of progress on the ground are building up frustration and anger among Palestinians
Arafat had just turned 30 years old. He is from Sa’eer, a village near Hebron. He is married and has two young children, a three year old and a two year old. Arafat and his wife Dalal were expecting their third child in June , He was in his first year at Al Quds Open University.
More than 202 detainees died or were killed in Israeli prisons since 1967; dozens of detainees also died after they were released due to diseases they encountered in prison or due to complications resulting from extreme torture and bad conditions in prisons.(x)
Nisim asis 22 year’s old. Jerusalem-Israel.. I like dead Palestinian ppl :-)
Meet Nisim Asis. Until 23 December — when I discovered him — that was his profile on the image-sharing service Instagram.
According to his Facebook profile, Asis is a 22-year-old Israeli soldier who lives in the occupied West Bank settlement of Beit El.
Since then, he has changed his bio and his name and hidden or deleted some of his comments, but not before I captured them.
One image on his profile is a drawing of a pig wearing a Palestinian headdress standing on a Koran. On 23 December, the description Asis gave for this image was “Arab is fucking pig!!! Muhammad is fucking gay!” One user who commented in English said “Youre very mature” to which Asis replied “Shut up you fucking Arab.”
Another image shows Asis licking the end of a knife. His caption is “Fuck all Arabs their blood is tasty.”
This is sickening. But I’m honestly scared to be living 10 minutes away from Beit El right now.
Electronic Day In support of Palestinian prisoners on hunger strike
posters by Hafez Omar .
‘We cast terror into the hearts of unbelievers:’ Extreme anti-Islam posters to cover New York subway stations next week
Anti-Islam posters with depictions of the World Trade Towers in flames will be plastered around 50 different New York MTA stations beginning December 17.
The $10,000-plus campaign is part of an ongoing campaign by Pamela Geller, executive director of the American Freedom Defense Initiative.
While previous posters, which read “In any war between the civilized man and the savage, support the civilized man,” were vandalized within an hour when they were put up in September, Geller told the New York Observer that she’s now prepared. Geller has made twice as many posters.
“I refuse to abridge my free speech so as to appease savages,” she said.
Israeli Soldiers stop Palestinian school-girls from going to school, Al Khalil-Hebron. You don’t want us to go to school, fine we’ll have school here.
Still winning ladies
LOOK AT THE DIFFERENCE! Now, tell me who are the real terrorists.
No offense but makes sense
How can you say ‘No offense’ when posting something that is clearly meant to be offensive, racist, and hateful? No matter what side of this issue you happen to fall any respectable human being must always understand that the ‘other’ side are human too. They are human, they bleed red blood, and they die when you drop bombs on their homes. When it becomes possible to ‘teach’ ignorant followers like yourself that something like this IS offensive and wrong, then the world will be a slightly better place. Have a nice day.